Friday, March 6, 2009

I just turned down an assignment!

In these tough economic times you might ask yourself "why did he turn down work?"

Good question.

To be a successful freelancer you must know your strengths and weaknesses.

Over the years I've went from traditional tools like the t-square and triangle to being and early adopter of using the computer for graphic design. Learning new programs and upgrading my skill sets has never been a problem for me and has helped me be the successful freelancer I am today.

But just like when when I was using magic markers to draw concepts, ads and logos... I turned down certain assignments like doing "cartoons". It wasn't what I could create at the level I was selling.

After questioning my prospective client for exactly what he wanted for his corporation, I decided that I wasn't doing anyone any favors taking on what he wanted.

Bottom line: I think I will work with this company. I made suggestions of how I could help them. If he comes back to give me his assignment I will hit a home run for him. So to be a succesfull freelancer.. help your clients by knowing your strengths and weaknesses. You will get more business and you will keep your good reputation by delivering 110% all the time.

No comments: