Thursday, October 16, 2008

Let me rant for a moment


I just was checking out, on-line, the resume of a fellow designer... yep, I'm checking out my competition.

Well, he's someone I don't have to worry about because he made 2 big mistakes!

The reason I'm discussing this is that if you want to be a successful freelance graphic designer like myself, you don't want to make the same mistakes this guy made.

Now to be fair, the guy is good... but I wouldn't hire him because I would leave his site in 1 minute after trying to read his resume.

What were his mistakes?
His first mistake is he posted his resume with white type on a black background. It's dramatic looking BUT HARD TO READ! It's a fact that light color lettering on a black background REDUCES readability. Sure I use white text against a dark background but NEVER for large blocks of copy.. it's to hard to read.

I wanted to read his resume, and I gave up real fast... what about prospective clients?

His second mistake was to post it as a jpg image and not editable html text. What this means is the search engines can't read his resume (less people will find him) and as a jpg image, his text was not as crisp and clear as it could have been as html type.

Bottom line: As a freelancer, you want your own work and your clients work to be noticed and read. Know who your audience is and make it easy for them to get your idea fast.


No comments: