Monday, October 13, 2008

Who do you want working on YOUR job?

There are two freelance artists... 

The first freelancer knows great design and fights for the "integrity" of the design.

The second freelancer knows great design but knows that some issues (like the shade of color or a logo a little larger) are not as important as the design SELLING the clients goods or services.

Now who do you want to work with? The "prima dona" or the guy that listens to you?

I can't tell you how much work I've gotten because I'm easy to work with.. keep that in mind. If you are a pain to deal with, why would a client want to work with you again? 

Now I'm not saying that you have to bow to your client's every demand... they aren't designers that's why they are hiring you... but there are some issues that you shouldn't be "falling on your sword" about.

I just finished up an assignment. During the final stage, the client asked for a different font in the ad. "Sure... no problem". They wanted the logo a little larger.. "Sure." They wanted a different line break... "no problem". 

Then they wanted a different font ADDED to the ad. This would have been 3 different fonts. "Nope" I said... your ad will look too busy and not as classy.

They said. "OK". Then we were done. Nice and easy.

By being accommodating on many other issues, my client realized that when I said "no" to a request, there was a strong reason not to do it. 

If I said no, no, no, throughout the assignment, 2 things would have happened:

1-They wouldn't work with me again because I would be perceived as a pain in the butt to work with.
2-They wouldn't have listened to me on an important issue.

Bottom line: To be a successful freelancer, don't let your ego get in the way of delivering a wonderful purchasing experience for your clients.. or you won't get anymore business.

No comments: