Monday, April 6, 2009

Some interesting facts

Every now and then I come across some interesting facts about our field.. I love when I can throw them into the conversation. I was once talking to a client by the name of Ms Tittle.

I asked her... "do you know what the dot of an "i" is called?" "Nope" she replied. "It's called a Tittle!"

I've always wondered if her family name came from a family of typographers... like the name Smith was probably the name of the local blacksmith.

Since we are on the subject of type, have you ever wondered where the terms "upper and lower case letters" comes from? Well, when type was set by hand, the capital letters were kept in the upper case and the other letters were kept in the lower case!

I like to bring that up in casual conversations too.

Now what does this have to do with being a successful freelancer you might ask... well, I'll tell you. It has to do with coming across as a knowledgeable, friendly person to work with.

Bottom line, as a professional freelancer, you want to keep things on a professional level, but it's always nice to show your personality. Have fun. People like to work with people that give them results. But if it's between you and that other fellow who is a bit of a sour puss... who do you think they are going to call?

No comments: