Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Your client has a "problem"

Every now and then I get a client who says... "Rob... we've got a problem". 

The first time I heard that my heart skipped a beat then I almost "tossed my cookies" right there on the floor.

"What's the matter?"

Well, my client went on to describe that he wanted some text changed and it was a big rush because his meeting was rescheduled and the problem was a timing issue. After my heart beat returned to normal I told my client that what he described was NOT a problem... a problem, I explained, is "if we printed 1000 brochures, and they are sitting in your office with the CEO of the company's name misspelled".

Now when I hear the word "problem", I see it as an opportunity to help my client. Remember, to be a successful freelancer, your goal is TO HELP YOUR CLIENT. And when you help them out you reinforce your relationship with them.

In earlier posts I indicated that you should always be fair with your clients so that they will get spoiled by you and not want to use anyone else. This is a win-win for everyone. Your clients get a straight deal and you get repeat business.

Bottom line: when you hear "problem" you are really hearing "an opportunity to help solidify your relationship and add to your bottom line".


No comments: